Home Meetings
Meetings

30/01/2009

Glasgow Touch Association

Founding Group Meeting

 

Date:

30 January 2009

Venue:

West

Present at Meeting:

David Goddard, Douglas Johnson, Lynn Wilson, Rachel Edwards, Richard Martindale, Ruth Cameron, Victor Francisco Suarez

In Attendance:

 

Apologies Received:

Brian Murray, Kieran Kearney, Nicole Teo

 

 

1. Actions raised at Meeting

Action No.

Description of Action

Action by

Date Due

30/01-01

Establish from the STA President whether the STA would be producing a Regional Touch Associations model constitution

David G

10/02/2009

30/01-02

Give consideration to incorporating a membership application section and processes into the GTA website

Douglas J

10/02/2009

30/01-03

Present ideas for specific activities that will further the aims of the GTA 

All

10/02/2009

 

30/01-04

Clarify with Sarah Holt the Glasgow ‘referee co-ordination’ role

Rachel E

10/02/2009

30/01-05

Remove content from http://www.glasgowtouch.org.uk that was originated by Nicole Teo

Douglas J

06/02/2009

30/01-06

Design an appropriate Glasgow Touch Association logo for the GTA site

Douglas J

Ruth C

10/02/2009

30/01-07

Confirm the GTA  website costs already incurred and the ongoing running costs

Douglas J

10/02/2009

30/01-08

Establish from the STA the costs of their ‘event’ insurance premiums and their provider

Douglas J

10/02/2009

30/01-09

Establish from the Aberdeen Association  the costs of their ‘event’ insurance premiums and their provider

Victor FS

10/02/2009

30/01-10

Establish with the STA the dates that are available for the Glasgow One Day Tournament to be staged

Douglas J

10/02/2009

30/01-11

Contact Glasgow based Rugby Clubs and other organisation to establish whether they would offer the use of their grounds and facilities to the GTA  to stage the Glasgow League and One Day Tournaments

Lyn W

10/02/2009

30/01-12

Establish whether Nicole Teo and her organisation would be prepared to organise and run the Glasgow 2009 league and at what cost

Victor FS

06/02/2009

30/01-13

Establish from the STA what was required of the GTA in organising and running the Home Nations 2009 event and what the STA’s role and responsibilities would be and the resources they would provide

Douglas J

06/02/2009

30/01-14

Contact Hillhead/Jordanhill to establish whether they would offer the use of the Hughenden facilities

Rachel E

10/02/2009

30/01-15

Research the Data Protection compliance requirements in regard to the sharing of names and contact details and the establishment of members database

David G

10/02/2009

 

2. Meeting Notes based on Agenda

2.1          Welcome/Introduction

Victor FS welcomed those present to the meeting.  It was explained that Ruth C was attending on behalf of Kieran Kearney who was unable to attend.

2.2          Appointment of ‘Interim Secretary’

David G had – prior to the meeting – volunteered to serve as the ‘Interim Secretary’.  The meeting confirmed this interim appointment.

2.3          Glasgow Touch Association (GTA) Remit and Constitution

2.3.1          Constitution Development

Douglas J - a member of the STA Committee – explained that the STA were developing a National Development Plan and that formally constituted ‘regional’ Touch associations were seen as key elements in the development and management of Touch activities in Scotland.  The STA Committee were fully supportive of the formation of a constituted Glasgow Touch Association.  The STA Committee were agreeable that its constitution could be used as a template for regional association constitutions.

David G thought that some of the STA Constitution sections were inappropriate for regional associations and that changes would be required to the STA constitution to reflect the role of regional associations and the changing role of the STA Committee.  David G undertook to establish from the STA President whether the STA would be producing a model regional association and would make suggestions for its content.

2.3.2          Aims and objectives of the Glasgow Touch Association

Some of the main and immediate aims the GTA were seen as:

  • To increase the number of people in the Glasgow area participating in Touch
  • To develop – with the aid of the STA –Touch players, coaches and referees
  • To stage – either directly or through affiliated league/tournament organisers - Touch competitions/tournaments within the Glasgow area

A more comprehensive list of aims would need to be agreed as part of the constitution development in conjunction with the STA.

Specific GTA objectives will be set once some the fundamental issues are addressed and when the GTA organisation is fully functional and specific roles and responsibilities assigned.

2.4          Membership of GTA

After discussion the consensus view was that membership of the GTA would be confined to individuals rather than to clubs or groups.  The GTA members would need to have automatic and dual membership of the STA in order to meet the current qualification criteria to participate in national squads and also to maintain and grow an STA membership base. These aspects would need to be agreed with the STA.

It was suggested that a simple way to administer the membership process was to incorporate a GTA/STA membership application into the player registration forms required for participation in league and tournament run under the auspices of the GTA.

It was suggested that a GTA membership application section be added to the GTA website.  Douglas J to consider incorporating this feature and function into the design of the GTA website.

2.5          Promotion of Touch in Glasgow by GTA

Victor FS requested that the members of the GTA founding group give some thought – outside of the meeting – to the activities that could be undertaken by the GTA in the short and longer term to further the aims of the GTA.  These ideas are to be presented at the next meeting of the GTA founding group.

Some of the initial activities discussed were:

  • Staging a Beginners Tournament
  • Providing an update on the actions of the Glasgow Coaching Group
  • Agreeing how to form beginners into teams and squads in order to aid the retention of the beginners and the development of Touch in the Glasgow area
  • Rachel E clarifying with Sarah Holt the ‘referee co-ordination’ role she has been asked to undertake – is this seen to be a STA or a GTA role?

2.6          Website arrangements and costs

Douglas J had established a GTA Website – http://www.glasgowtouch.org.uk .  He undertook to remove from this site any of the content and references that had been originated by Nicole Teo.

Douglas J and Ruth C would design an appropriate Glasgow Touch Association logo for the site

Douglas J undertook to manage the site for which he had already paid the domain registration and some of the hosting costs.  Douglas J to confirm the costs he has already incurred and the ongoing running costs.

2.7          Glasgow League and Open Tournament

Victor FS estimated that the upfront costs of staging an Open Tournament would be in the region of £500 of which insurance could cost £300.  Douglas J agreed to establish from the STA the costs of their ‘event’ insurance premiums and their provider and if anything could be done to offset this Open Tournament cost.  Victor FS would get the same information from the Aberdeen Touch Tournament organisers.

Although it was felt that the GTA themselves could organise and stage the Glasgow Open Tournament 2009 they may not - in 2009 - be in a position to organise and run the Glasgow League themselves. Douglas J will establish with the STA the dates that are available for the Glasgow One Day Tournament to be staged.

Victor FS agreed to contact Nicole Teo to establish whether she and her organisation would be prepared to organise and run the Glasgow 2009 League and at what cost.  Nicol would be asked to specify what services she would provide for the quoted cost including the number of teams that would participate, the starting date and duration of the League and the venue.  It was envisaged that the League would run from the middle/end of May to the middle/end of July

Lynn W will contact Glasgow based Rugby Clubs and other organisation to establish whether they would offer the use of their grounds and facilities to the GTA  to stage the Glasgow League and One Day Tournaments and possibly the Home Nations 2009.  Cambuslang RFC had already expressed a keen interest to be involved in Touch – this needed to be followed through.  Douglas J will pass on the venue contacts he has established.

2.8          GTA organising other events

A date of Saturday 8 August 2009 has been agreed for the staging of the Home Nations 2009 Tournament in Scotland.  The STA could stage the event in Edinburgh but were keen for it to be held in Glasgow.  It was felt that having the event in Glasgow would be a tremendous boost for Touch in the area but there were concerns about the amount of work that may be required of the GTA to ensure its success.  Douglas J would establish from the STA what was required of GTA in organising and running the event and what the STA’s role and responsibilities would be and what resources they would provide.  Douglas J would continue his search for a suitable venue in the Glasgow area.

In her contact with the Glasgow based Rugby Clubs and other organisation Lynn W would establish whether they would offer the use of their grounds and facilities to the GTA to stage the Home Nations 2009.  Rachel E would contact Hillhead/Jordanhill to establish whether they would offer the use of the Hughenden facilities

2.9          Any Other Business

David G will research the Data Protection compliance requirements in regard to the sharing of names and contact details and the establishment of a members database

 

 

Noted by: David Goddard

Authorised by:

Issued by: D Goddard

 

Next Meeting: Date: Tuesday 10 February 2009

 

Time: 7:00pm

 

Venue:

 The Bar At Cottier's

 93-95, Hyndland St

 Glasgow, G11 5PU

       

 

 
More Articles...


Page 8 of 10