Home Meetings
Meetings

10/02/2009

Glasgow Touch Association

Founding Group Meeting

 

Date:

10 February 2009

Venue:

The Bar at Cottiers

Present at Meeting:

David Goddard, Douglas Johnson, Lynn Wilson, Rachel Edwards, Victor Francisco Suarez

In Attendance:

 

Apologies Received:

Brian Murray, Kieran Kearney, Richard Martindale


1          Previous Actions and their Progress

Action No.

Description of Action

Action by

Date Due

30/01-01

Establish from the STA President whether the STA would be producing a Regional Touch Associations model constitution.  10/02/09 -Model Constitution will not be produced in a time frame required by GTA - Closed

David G

10/02/2009

30/01-02

Give consideration to incorporating a membership application section and processes into the GTA website10/02/09 – A Membership Application section is feasible.  The requirements need to be specified - Closed

Douglas J

10/02/2009

30/01-03

Present ideas for specific activities that will further the aims of the GTA  10/02/09 Ideas presented during relevant agenda items - Closed

All

10/02/2009

 

30/01-04

Clarify with Sarah Holt the Glasgow ‘referee co-ordination’ role 10/02/09 -  Clarification will be obtained at meeting in Perth - Ongoing

Rachel E

10/02/2009

24/02/2009

30/01-05

Remove content from http://www.glasgowtouch.org.uk that was originated by Nicole Teo.10/02/09 - Ongoing

Douglas J

06/02/2009

17/02/2009

30/01-06

Design an appropriate Glasgow Touch Association logo for the GTA site 10/02/09 – Logo designed and posted on web site - Closed

Douglas J

Ruth C

10/02/2009

30/01-07

Confirm the GTA  website costs already incurred and the ongoing running costs 10/02/09 – Costs confirmed - Closed

Douglas J

10/02/2009

30/01-08

Establish from the STA the costs of their ‘event’ insurance premiums and their provider 10/02/09 - Ongoing

Douglas J

10/02/2009

24/02/2009

30/01-09

Establish from the Aberdeen Association  the costs of their ‘event’ insurance premiums and their provider 10/02/09 – Awaiting reply - Ongoing

Victor FS

10/02/2009

24/02/2009

30/01-10

Establish with the STA the dates that are available for the Glasgow One Day Tournament to be staged 10/02/09 – Event dates established and updated to GTA website- Closed

Douglas J

10/02/2009

30/01-11

Contact Glasgow based Rugby Clubs and other organisation to establish whether they would offer the use of their grounds and facilities to the GTA to stage the Glasgow League and One Day Tournaments. 10/02/09 – A number of organisations contacted and response is encouraging - Ongoing

Lynn W

10/02/2009

01/03/2009

30/01-12

Establish whether Nicole Teo and her organisation would be prepared to organise and run the Glasgow 2009 league and at what cost 10/02/09 – Nicole not available to  organise and run the Glasgow League 2009 - Closed

Victor FS

06/02/2009

30/01-13

Establish from the STA what was required of the GTA in organising and running the Home Nations 2009 event and what the STA’s role and responsibilities would be and the resources they would provide. 10/02/09 – Details obtained from STA President - Closed

Douglas J

06/02/2009

30/01-14

Contact Hillhead/Jordanhill to establish whether they would offer the use of the Hughenden facilities. 10/02/09 – Contact made by Lynn W - Closed

Rachel E

10/02/2009

30/01-15

Research the Data Protection compliance requirements in regard to the sharing of names and contact details and the establishment of members database. 10/02/09 – Research commenced and contact made with ICO - Ongoing

David G

10/02/2009

24/02/2009

 

2          Actions raised at Meeting

Action No.

Description of Action

Action by

Date Due

10/02-01

Follow up Touch ‘venue’ leads already established to determine whether they can meet the GTA ‘events’ requirements and at what costs

Lynn W

24/02/2009

10/02-02

Arrange a GTA visit to the Jordanhill Phoenix grounds and confirm the arrangements

Lynn W

24/02/2009

10/02-03

Confirm whether the STA will be responsible for providing the required referees for the Glasgow One Day tournament

Rachel E

24/02/2009

10/02-04

Expand the Home Nations activity list that had been provided and circulate the expanded list

David G

24/02/2009

10/02-05

Establish whether the University of Glasgow Students Union is a possible venue for the Home Nations Tournament evening function and what the likely costs will be.

Douglas J

24/02/2009

10/02-06

Establish from the STA President a realistic estimate of the number of teams, players and support personnel hat are likely to participate in the tournament

David G

24/02/2009

10/02-07

Report on the referee co-ordination role and referee recruitment, coaching and development plans after the STA refereeing meeting in Perth

Rachel E

24/02/2009

10/02-08

Contact the STA President and request that ActivityMix ask the Glasgow corporate teams that took part in the previous year’s Touch competitions to contact the GTA

David G

24/02/2009

10/02-09

Draft a ‘proposition’ for the Founding Group’s consideration that could - after review - be used and adapted to provide a consistent message to be used for Touch promotion and player recruitment material

Douglas J

24/02/2009

10/02-10

Request Dennis Coffey - Australian Touch Association - to pass on any material that promotes/sells Touch and which could used by GTA

Victor FS

24/02/2009

10/02-11

Draft secure GTA website based membership processes and forward these to Douglas J

David G

24/02/2009

10/02-12

Ask Nicole Teo to request those people involved in Glasgow Touch to pass on their contact details to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Victor FS

24/02/2009

10/02-13

Draft – for review and comment - a GTA constitution

David G

24/02/2009

10/02-14

Consider alternative colour schemes for the GTA logo and web page backgrounds

Douglas J

24/02/2009

10/02-15

Accept the Jordanhill Phoenix invitation to showcase Touch and get more details of the event during the ‘onsite’ visit

Lynn W

24/02/2009

10/02-15

Update the actions from the Saturday 8 November 2009

Victor FS

24/02/2009


3          Meeting Notes based on Agenda

3.1          Welcome/Introduction

Those present were welcomed to the meeting.

3.2          Review of Actions from Previous Meeting

The actions from the previous meeting were reviewed and updated.

3.3          Glasgow Touch League 2009

It was confirmed by the meeting that the GTA would stage the Glasgow Touch League 2009.  Nicole Teo would not be tendering to run the league on behalf of the GTA.

It was agreed that the league would commence during the week beginning 11 May for ten weeks - running until the week beginning 13 July 2009 – but this could be extended by a week or two if there was a demand from teams and no conflict with other events or national squad training. The preferred ‘League Evening’ was agreed to be a Wednesday but this could be a different night if the favoured venue was not available to GTA on a Wednesday.

It would be the intention to run a Mixed, a Women’s and a Men’s league with a maximum of twenty four teams.  This means that there is a requirement for a venue that could provide four Touch pitches – which could be set up on two full size rugby fields.

It was envisaged that the league entry fee would be in the region of £200 for ‘early birds’.

It was agreed that – at an appropriate time - there will need to be a league management organisation in place to deal with the detailed planning, operation and finances of the Glasgow League 2009.

Lynn W had made contact with a number of clubs/organisations to establish whether they would be interested in ‘hosting’ the Glasgow Touch League 2009 and other events.  Allen Glens RFC, Jordanhill Phoenix and Cambuslang RFC were very enthusiastic to be associated with Glasgow Touch Association and to host GTA events.  Lynn W will follow up on these leads to determine whether the GTA requirements can be met and at what cost.  Jordanhill Phoenix has acquired the use of a sports ground in the Scotstun area which – it is believed - has a pavilion and changing rooms.  GTA have been invited to view these facilities in order to access their suitability for Touch.  Lynn W will arrange a GTA visit to the Jordanhill Phoenix grounds and confirm the arrangements with the GTA members interested in accompanying her.

A decision on the Glasgow Touch League 2009 venue and the associated costs must be made by the end of March at the latest.

3.4          Glasgow Touch One Day Tournament

It was confirmed by the meeting that the GTA would stage the Glasgow One Day Tournament and – subject to the availability of a suitable venue – it would be held on Saturday 4 July 2009.

The venue for the tournament would need to accommodate six Touch pitches - which could be set up on three full size rugby fields – and offer facilities for between 100 and 150 players and support personnel.

It would be the intention to offer post tournament food and drink at the playing venue but the GTA would not organise a separate evening function and would suggest that the participants arrange their own post match ‘get together(s)’.

The One Day Tournament venue and cost estimates will need to be agreed by end of March – latest.

Rachel E will confirm whether the STA will be responsible for providing the required referees for the tournament.

3.5          Home Nations Tournament 2009

The date of the Home Nations Tournament 2009 is fixed for Saturday 8 August 2009 and it was confirmed – subject to the availability of a suitable venue – that it would be held in Glasgow.

The STA President had clarified to Douglas J and David G the main activities for which the STA would be responsible and the activities that would be delegated to the GTA.  There were, however, a number of key activities - particularly related to marketing, sponsorship and publicity that had not been included on the list.  David G undertook to expand the activity list that had been provided and circulate the expanded list.

There was full support for the suggestion by Douglas J that the post tournament evening event should be a ceilidh with simple Scottish fayre.  Douglas J will establish whether the University of Glasgow Students Union is a possible venue for the tournament evening function and what the likely costs would be.

David G would establish from the STA President a realistic estimate of the number of teams, players and support personnel that are likely to participate in the tournament.

3.6          Referee Co-ordination/Recruitment/Coaching & Development

Rachel E will report on her referee co-ordination role and referee recruitment, coaching and development after the STA refereeing meeting in Perth.

3.7          Player Recruitment/Induction

GTA will hold Touch introductory and basic skills coaching sessions each Wednesday on Glasgow Green starting at 6:30pm commencing Wednesday 1 April until the start of the Glasgow Touch League in May.  There will also be an opportunity for impromptu games to be played aimed at developing skills and an understanding of Touch Rules.  These sessions will run under the auspices of the Glasgow Coaching Group but would require the active participation of Touch referees and experienced Touch players.

The new players would be encouraged to form teams of their own or join already established teams. 

3.8          Team Recruitment/Induction/Coaching

It was agreed that there was an urgent need to ‘recruit’ more teams to participate in the Glasgow Touch League 2009 and the Glasgow One Day Tournament 2009.  It was agreed to focus this ‘recruitment drive’ on sporting organisations and universities as this was likely to be less difficult and more fruitful than efforts to attract Glasgow corporations to participate in Touch.

Douglas J informed the meeting that Activity Mix would not be running a Glasgow Corporate Sports Tournament this year and, therefore, there would be no ActivityMix Touch competition.  David G undertook to contact the STA President and request that ActivityMix ask the Glasgow corporate team that took part in the previous year’s Touch competition to contact the GTA.

Douglas J will draft a ‘proposition’ for the Founding Group’s consideration that could - after review - be used and adapted to provide a consistent message to be used for Touch promotion and player recruitment.

Victor FS will request Dennis Coffey - Australian Touch Association - to pass on any material that promotes/sells Touch and which could used by GTA.

3.9          GTA /STA Membership

It was confirmed that those present wish to be considered members of the GTA and were agreeable that their email addresses could be used for GTA/STA purposes.  David G had received three requests for GTA membership in response to an email addressed to those who had been involved in Touch activities. 

David G has undertaken some research into the Data Protection Act as it affects the possessing and storage of personal information for GTA purposes.

The GTA needed to comply and be seen to comply with the eight principles embodied in the Act which make sure that personal information is:

  • Fairly and lawfully processed
  • Processed for limited purposes
  • Adequate, relevant and not excessive
  • Accurate and up to date
  • Not kept for longer than is necessary
  • Processed in line with your rights
  • Secure
  • Not transferred to other countries without adequate protection

David G had been in discussion with the Information Commissioner's Office and had completed a questionnaire in the Notification Hand book.  The outcome of this investigation is that GTA was exempt from the notification process.  Notification is a statutory requirement and every organisation that processes personal information must notify the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), unless they are exempt.

David G undertook to take on the GTA ‘data controller’ role and maintain the GTA membership register and comply with the data protection requirements.  He would draft secure GTA website based membership processes and forward these to Douglas J to develop.

Victor FS confirmed that he would ask Nicole Teo to request those people involved in Glasgow Touch to pass on their contact details to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

3.10       GTA Constitution Development

Unfortunately the STA are not in a position to provide a ‘model’ constitution for regional touch associations in a timeframe that is required by the GTA.  David G agreed to draft – for review and comment - a GTA constitution based on the constitutions of the STA, the North East of Scotland Touch Association and that being drafted by the Edinburgh Touch Association.

There was some urgency in drafting and adopting a GTA constitution and the subsequent election of GTA office bearers as these were pre-requisites to opening and operating bank accounts.

3.11       GTA Website

Douglas J had paid £4.99 to register the www.glasgowtouch.org.uk domain for two years and was paying £4.99 a month from 20/12/2008 in hosting costs.  It was agreed that GTA would reimburse these costs as soon as they were in a position to do so.

Those present were very complementary of the GTA logo that Ruth Cameron had designed and which was incorporated into the GTA Website.  It was felt important to add the word “Association” into the logo and Douglas J was asked to consider alternative colour scheme for the logo and page backgrounds.

Douglas had posted on the GTA website all the event information he had been able to gather.  He was updating the content as an ongoing task.

Those GTA members who wished to have a @glasgowtouch.org.uk  email address should request Douglas J to set it up for them.

3.12       Jordanhill Phoenix

Jordanhill Phoenix - in discussion with Lynn W – wished to be strongly linked to the GTA and besides offering to be a first choice venue for all GTA events asked that the GTA ‘showcase’ Touch at the official opening of their new sports field and facilities in Scotsun in April.  It was agreed that GTA should accept this invitation as it would be a great opportunity to promote Touch and could lead to Jordanhill Phoenix entering teams in the Glasgow Touch League.

Lynn W would accept the invitation on behalf of the GTA and get more details of the event during the ‘onsite’ visit planned to Jordanhill Phoenix new facilities.

3.13       Glasgow Coaching Group

Victor FS was requested to update the actions from the Saturday 8 November 2009 and arrange a followup session.

 

Noted by: David Goddard

Authorised by:

Issued by: D Goddard

 

Next Meeting: Date: Tuesday 10 March 2009

 

Time: 7:00pm

 

Venue:

 Uisge Beatha

232-246 Woodlands Road

Glasgow G3 6ND

       

Handouts

GTA Founding Group Meeting Agenda 2009-02-10.doc

 


Page 7 of 10